[Gllug] Office Alternatives

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu May 22 10:37:32 UTC 2008

Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Ivan Virgili <ivnmad at gmail.com> [080521 18:36]:
>
>> I use OOo every day at work and at home (on Linux) and I really do not
>> miss M$ office. There are a few incompatibilities, but nothing major.
>>

> Is this true in a corporate environment if you have to coexist with MS
> Office users? Features like macros and custom templates never used to
> translate properly.  Nearly every sizeable company has these in their
> documents.

You are of course quite right. The MS (or any other) lock-in has (at least)

1. User inertia and need to retrain (even trivially - this is a cost)
2. Body of existing expertise that is made redundant
3. Body of existing code
4. Body of existing documents

And with MS in particular:

5. Exchange and Outlook and 1-4 above in that pair

This is a lot to tackle. We have sold a lot of Linux into infrastructure
but have not even attempted the Desktop; even I use Win desktop 75% of
the time - because this is what we have to support.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk