[Gllug] need a password manager for passwords I do not care about

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Thu May 15 07:51:44 UTC 2008

Justin Perreault wrote:
> Any reason I should be truly concerned about someone getting my login
> details for a bug repository? Presumably anyone could just create a
> bogus account anyways.

It depends on the site but in this instance I can't think of any.

> I don't want to create a default password that I hand out all over the
> net. I feel that such a foot print would be just asking for trouble.

It depends how you do it. For example you could have a "default"
password (which changes every now and then) for sites like this.
Anything where there are real concerns about security (as opposed to it
simply being a anti-spam feature) gets a unique - more complex -
password. In this way if your "foot print" is cracked the worst they can
do is post spam to a forum or something. The default password needn't be
simple either, it's just the same one for several places (all of which
are of a lesser concern security-wise).

> Anyone here find the Firefox password manager any good?

Not really. I'm like you in this. I consider password managers to be
removing security where it might be needed. Aside from that password
managers are like speed dial, once you start using them you depend upon
them because you no longer remember the content. Which means the first
time you are away from them you are stuck.

> Any suggestions for other password managers to look at?

Don't. :o)

cheers
--
Ryan Cartwright