[Gllug] need a password manager for passwords I do not care about

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu May 15 10:40:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 08:51 +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> Justin Perreault wrote:
> > I don't want to create a default password that I hand out all over the
> > net. I feel that such a foot print would be just asking for trouble.
>
> It depends how you do it. For example you could have a "default"
> password (which changes every now and then) for sites like this.
> Anything where there are real concerns about security (as opposed to it
> simply being a anti-spam feature) gets a unique - more complex -
> password. In this way if your "foot print" is cracked the worst they can
> do is post spam to a forum or something. The default password needn't be
> simple either, it's just the same one for several places (all of which
> are of a lesser concern security-wise).

The foot print I am referring to is the one where, 10 sites have your
low level default password one gets cracked and the bot nets add it too
their login attempts.

Losing one login is bothersome. Having 10 be compromised starts
impacting ones presence on the net. I do not expect a lot of trouble to
be caused, however with most things it is quite possible I have merely
not come up with how such would cause a lot of trouble. I am sure
someone here can point out how.

-Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk