[Gllug] Linux based "not Active Directory"

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed May 7 11:52:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:14:11AM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> I'd like to pull together a bunch of network admin services together in an
> integrated way. The centralised lookup functions every distributed
> environment needs - DHCP, DNS, LDAP (authorisation / general info lookup),
> and some sane authentication scheme (perhaps Kerberos - sanity depends on
> where you're standing). The only neat solution I'm aware of is Windows
> Active Directory. I guess Novell once had a competitor (may still do). Is
> there a Linux system to manage a similar feat?
>
> To clarify - I don't want an Active Directory implementation neccesarily. I
> would like something that performs similar functions though. AD (for all
> it's faults) has a very slick integration / implementation of LDAP,
> Kerberos, DHCP, and DNS. I want one.

Take a look at our  FreeIPA project. It integrates Kerberos, FreeRadius
and Fedora Directory Server into one slick application with a very nice
web management interface & command line toolset.

 http://freeipa.org/page/Main_Page

Version 1.0 was just recently a week ago

 https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2008-April/msg00120.html

In the future it'll also integrate certificate management, auditing and
policy management. All the RPMs are available in Fedora 8/9 and it is
seriously trivial to get up & running - we're using it in our virtualization
management app oVirt to provide our sauthentication services.

The FreeIPA software will also soon be available as a supported product
called  Red Hat Enterprise IPA, if you need that kind of thing for
deployment.

Regards,
Dan.
--