[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs?

Marcus Taylor marcus at fatbeehive.com
Tue May 27 11:30:26 UTC 2008

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:06 PM, James Holland
> <holland.james at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Would anyone care to explain to me (gently!) why all the fuss about top
>> posting? I read my email using the preview pane in Evolution and its
>> much easier to read if someone top-posts rather than having to scroll
>> down through the quoted bit that you've read already!

It helps when replying to multiple points of relevance in the same
[often long] post/thread.

- Tethys wrote:
> If you're having to scroll down that much, too much of the previous
> message has been quoted anyway. It's almost never a good idea to quote
> the whole message. This is particularly true on an email list, where
> you can assume that everyone interested either already has a copy of
> the original message, or can find it in the archives.

Also if you feel you need to top post [ie it is not relevant to the

and thunderbird formats inline replies quite nicely... ;)

|     Marcus Taylor     |                            Tel: 0207 7398704 |
+-----------------------+                 Email: marcus at fatbeehive.com |
| Systems Administrator |               Web: http://www.fatbeehive.com |
|    Fat Beehive Ltd    | 2nd Floor, 59 Rivington St, London, EC2a 3QQ |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk