[Gllug] Cloning running servers

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed May 14 10:52:34 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I have half a dozen Debian servers that we want to migrate into a VMware
virtualised environment. Whilst VMware has tools to migrate Windows
servers there isn't an equivalent for the linux world.

My google-fu has deserted me today and I can't find any handy utility
that can do this with the minimum of downtime. It probably already
exists for migrating to new hardware or into a Xen VM but I can't find it.

What I'm looking for is a tool that can image a running partition and
copy it to the new device. The hardware profile will be different but
we're running stock kernels so I'm hopeful that they will cope.

Once we have the server running under VMware we can use rsync to copy
across the few changing files during a short downtime window.

It's getting the image across in the first place that I'm a bit stuck on.

Any advice gratefully received as I really don't want to have to
reinstall the base OS into the VM and rsync the data across.

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk