[Gllug] Cloning running servers

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed May 14 12:40:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:52:34AM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> What I'm looking for is a tool that can image a running partition and
> copy it to the new device. The hardware profile will be different but
> we're running stock kernels so I'm hopeful that they will cope.

Copying across a _running_ machine is difficult.  We have a tool
called virt-p2v (http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/) but it
probably isn't suitable for you since (1) you have to take down and
reboot the physical machine in order to migrate it, and (2) we only
support Xen & KVM targets at the moment, although you can work around
(2) quite easily.

For P2V-ing of running domains you might need to look at commercial
software, eg. Platespin.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones