[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Wed May 21 12:09:12 UTC 2008

The action pack looks rather awesome.

Where's the catch?

---
Andy Millar

t: +44 (0) 845 862 0268
e: andy at andymillar.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk [mailto:gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Simon Wilcox
Sent: 21 May 2008 13:00
To: Greater London Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Office Alternatives

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> /me weeps! £350.00 fscking pounds for *one* copy of Microsoft Office!
>
> Surely there has to be an alternative?

1. Buy "grey" OEM versions of Office along with a USB dongle or somesuch.
2. Use one of the M$ volume licensing schemes, the cost comes down quite
quickly
3. Just suck it up and pay the money. If your whining users want it that
badly it's not worth your effort to persuade them otherwise
4. If you're small (<10 people) and you do any kind of development, join
the M$ Action Pack programme. You get 10 sets of desktop software
licences and some server gubbins for £199/year

We actually find that OpenOffice.org isn't so bad. Is your view of it
recent ?

S.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk