[Gllug] Another dd backup ignoramus question

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu May 8 04:49:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 22:26 +0100, M.Blackmore wrote:

> However, true to form, no installation CDs and no install partition on
> the hdd, but a bare Fujitsu-tuned install of XP SP2 on it. We're going
> to shrink that down to about 5gb (or whatever size will fit onto a
> dvd) just in case its ever needed, and I was wondering if dd would
> simply run off an exact copy of this to a dvd burner?

I would look at using Mondo Rescue for this job.

http://www.mondorescue.org/about.shtml

>From the man page:

mondoarchive backs up a subset of your files, your entire filesystem, or
even images of non-Linux filesystems to CD's, tape, ISO images or an NFS
mount. In the event of catastrophic data loss, you will be able to
restore everything, taking a PC from bare metal to its original state if
necessary.

Mondo is on the Knoppix DVD, if I'm not wrong.

A search of the Mondo wiki also points to ntfsclone:
http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ntfsclone.8.html

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk