[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu May 22 23:44:28 UTC 2008

On 22 May 2008, Philip Hands spake thusly:

> On Linux you can tweak your binaries with prelink (Debian and friends:
> aptitude install prelink) and apparently get a decent speed improvement
> (not that I know, I use LaTeX & vi or emacs for document production ;-)

Of course its effectiveness is reduced somewhat by the *crazy* amount of
dlopen()ing that OOo does. A running oowriter (Debian testing) has 68000
symbols in mmap()ed-in libraries, of which 30000 come from dlopen()ed
objects, with an average symbol length of 38 characters. Even a
prelinked OOo using DT_GNU_HASH is going to spend a lot of time and
memory doing relocations.

(For comparison, Konqueror 3.5.9 has 38466 symbols in DT_NEEDED
libraries, and 41011 in the running image, so a few thousand max brought
in by dlopen().)

--
`If you are having a "ua luea luea le ua le" kind of day, I can only
 assume that you are doing no work due [to] incapacitating nausea caused
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk