[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs? (Ryan Cartwright)

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Tue May 27 15:06:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:47:46 +0100 Ryan Cartwright <ryan at crimperman.org>
wrote:

> The use of "bottom post" in these discussions always seems to further
> confuse matters if you ask me. It's possibly more accurate to refer to
> it as in-line posting as the text you add should be placed where it has
> greatest relevance.

Agreed.

> > Its not about *You* (the sender of any mail) its about *others*
>
> Yes, IME the main arguments for top/bottom posting can be summed up as
> convenience against courtesy. It's more convenient to hit reply but more
> courteous to post in-line and trim messages you are replying to.

Also one is trying to use the same software for two different functions: (i)
newsgroup and mailing-list posting, in a many-to many format, for which
in-line posting and trimming makes the discussion easier to follow,

and (ii) business correspondence, for which something that matches traditional
filing systems, where the bumf accumulates  with the most recent items at the
top, may be suitable. A top-posted reply system is a reasonably efficient
electronic archive of such material (provided of course that one always
deletes all but the last pair or set of messages), although, as noted, it's
very wasteful of bandwidth.

Christopher
--
Christopher Currie