[Gllug] DNS glue records

Geoff Wright geoff at xp3.co.uk
Thu May 1 16:25:54 UTC 2008

Henry Kemp (henry.kemp at future-route.com) said : Re: Re: [Gllug] DNS glue records
> The
> registrars should have automated systems to check, insert and generally
> manage these records (for example they won't let you enter a record for
> a nameserver this outside the relevant zone - eg. if ns.a.com is

They should do the checks. However, not too long ago Nominet allowed
glue records anywhere. Or for you not to have them at all in the entry
for you domain. So we ended up with demon.co.uk having nameservers
ns0.demon.co.uk (or whatever) with out any glue records. However there
were A records for these nmaeservers in other domain records. Nearly
ended in a big mess.

You could also, back then, put random addresses in your domain record
for other peoples nameserver and it would get pushed out to ns1.nic.uk.

In the early days it was assumed that ISPs would know about glue records
and keeps things in the right place. Turned out to be very wrong. A lot
of ISP's hostmaster still didn't get it after having it explained a
dozen times.

Cheers,

Geoff
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk