[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Thu May 22 10:55:37 UTC 2008

On 22 May 2008, at 11:28, James Roberts wrote:

> Vidar Hokstad wrote:
>> Average is extremely misleading unless you reboot in between or
>> make sure
>> it's all paged out.
>>

> I did also give the first load times :)
>
> You are arguing for using the worst-case figure not the typical
> figure :)

No, I'm not. The typical figure for me _is_ the worst case figure.
What I'm saying
is that the average is misleading because it bears little to no
relation to the typical
figure. I get the advantage of OOo being in-memory on maybe 1 in 20
starts at best,
if I'm lucky. I just don't use a word processor often enough for it to
normally be in
memory.

>> Shortest I've gotten with 2.4 is 15 sec or so
>
> New hardware?

The dual Xeon box with 4GB RAM i mentioned. It has fairly reasonable
drives,
but I suspect a large percentage of the difference in performance
people see
are disk subsystem related rather than RAM/CPU.

> I'd be worried if any of my systems were actually regularly paging
> though - RAM is cheap.

RAM is cheap if you have enough slots to put it in and don't need to
replace
relatively expensive laptops to get one that can take more memory.

My laptops are more or less fully loaded. I could get another GB in my
Macbook
Pro at home, but frankly, going from 3GB to 4GB wouldn't make much
difference.

None of my machines page much, but when it takes a couple of hours at
least
between each time I load an app, there's been enough "churn" in other
apps in
the meantime that the pages have been thrown out and replaced with
other data
I've used.

Vidar

--