[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Tue May 27 22:01:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 00:36 +0100, James Holland wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 has a new memory allocator that
> makes it quicker than FF2.

I was waiting for Mint Linux (or is that Linux Mint??) to version
change, must go and check if that has happened. I find the "all
installed by default" media playback stuff so nice on Mint I shifted
allegiance to it from Xubuntu some time back, despite the larger memory
hit of not using XFCE4 (and XFCE's minimalist elegance which I must
admit I rather like and still use on the lower specced 700 and
800mhz/512mb computers which litter the house on the 6.06 Xubuntu
derivative.

Though having bought a bucnh of 49 quid Fujitsu-Siemens 2.8ghz P4s
second hand those loyal veterans are up for Oxford freecycle Real Soon
Now as soon as I load up the software on the replacements - should
arrive Thursday unless Parcelforce f***s up again - they lost the last
lot of 3, and smashed the plastic fascia and bent the case so I had to
cut it off the first one delivered.

I asked them not to use Parcelforce again but they've got a contract.
They aren't getting the first one back - I'm keeping that for spares
like proprietary PSU and as a caseless messabout computer under the desk
propped up on end for, err, messing about on like playing with different
linux distros and keeping an XP partition available somewhere to use as
and when needed, which is rare indeed. They can send a Parcelforce
Inspector here to see the remains of the mangled case and warped chassis
- the machine has nil market value and will just be chucked in the
recycle bin whereas it has some residuary use value to me for some years
despite being mangled and bent (and thus saving some embedded
environmental cost).

Until such time as the bent motherboard finally fractures a track inside
it somewhere. I daren't straighten its chassis frame out, that will be
sure to break a contact - its out by nearly a centimetre! It wasn't
dropped, it was THROWN off the back of a truck to be so distorted, as
its a pretty solid piece of kit.