[Gllug] SSH problems

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri May 16 11:50:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:42:23PM +0100, william pink wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Well I have been having a few problems with ssh as it appears to be keep
> resetting my connection and exits with *Read from remote host example.com:
> Connection reset by peer - *I have tried increasing the timeout on the
> server and on the client, I have compiled from source the latest ssh
> package, I have just updated to Ubuntu 8.04 but I had the same problem with
> the previous release, I have replaced my NIC/cable/port and  I am running
> out if ideas!. When I use putty in Windoze on my VMware server on the same
> machine it doesn't do it, also it doesn't appear to be due to inactivity
> because sometimes it will do it when im actually working so its very
> bizarre.
>
> I have tried some debugging with -v and some tcpdump but theres nothing
> really useful in there maybe someone could suggest other tools I could use
>
> ANY help would be appreciated as its really frustrating

Some router between you & the host is prob deciding that it has not seen
any traffic for X seconds and can thus drop the connection from its
known connections.

Comment in TCPKeepAlive in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
You may also need to tweak the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_intvl value
Hack /etc/sysctl.conf to ensure that it survives a reboot.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk