[Gllug] Upgrading 32 bit to 64 bit

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Fri May 9 08:52:59 UTC 2008

On 9 May 2008, at 08:32, John Winters wrote:
> Given that it must still be a reasonably clean install, why not simply
> list all the packages which are currently installed (I don't use RH/
> FC any
> more, but ISTR a command like "rpm -l"), re-install from scratch
> using the
> 64 bit version, do an "rpm -l" (or whatever) again, diff the two
> lists and
> install the remainder.

rpm -qa

Alternatively, if he's modified config files etc., running "rpm -Va"
will list changes (it
won't list cases where files have been _added_ without RPM, though)

If stuff has been added without RPM, and haven't then been added in
clearly separate
locations, it'll get more painful, but you can list all files RPM
knows about with "rpm -qla",
which would give a reasonable starting point to diff against "find /"
to see what files have
been added to the system.

I've used the above before to reconstruct installation instructions
for various servers
that was a hodgepodge of  manually installed stuff before, and it's no
fun but it works.
Especially if there's a reason backup to bail you out when there's
something you've
forgotten to copy over...

Vidar

--