[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 13 21:05:55 UTC 2008

2008/11/13 James Roberts <jr at stabilys.com>:
> Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
>> 2008/11/13 James Roberts <jr at stabilys.com>:
>>
>>> So I grabbed latest Ubuntu 8.10 server, tested CD, tested memory and
>>> attempted install on two small new server-class machines:
>>>
>> FWIW:
>>
>> I think your perception of where Ubuntu is rightly lauded is misplaced.
>>
>> By your own description you are dealing with server class systems...
>
>> Having said all the above, I would not consider it for a server... It is
>> untested there
>

> !
>
> I repeat, "So I grabbed latest Ubuntu 8.10 *server*".
>
> So what is the point of the 'server' release - exactly?
>
> MeJ

Ubuntu has still to build a reputation in the server arena, I
personally have not seen a big installation relying on Ubuntu. Plenty
of Red Hat, SuSe, Debian and even CentOS.

I imagine the point of the server version is to eventually be
competitive on this arena, at the moment it seems that the server
version may not be ready for prime time. It took Red Hat ages to get
there, so it is unsurprising if Ubunut is experiencing initial
problems after a very successful desktop assault.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk