[Gllug] Portable and network storage.

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Fri Nov 14 14:01:50 UTC 2008

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Jose Luis Martinez wrote:

>>> Obviously we should all just convert our linux based wireless routers
>>> since they only take 6 Watts... (yes I did lots of measuring)
>>>
>>> But the wifi routers don't have proper storage and can't connect to
>>> external storage so I like my laptop solution.
>>>
>>> Laptops are relatively very low power, they've had to be since
>>> battery/energy storage technology is so far behind energy usage
>>> technologies that they've had to be designed to be low power... which is
>>> good.
>>>
>>> I think otherwise, a tiny cheap nas style solution may be a good (but
>>> not cheap) way to go too.
>>>

>> Laptops sound like a good solution, my only concern is if they are
>> really able to work 24x7 for any appreciable length of time.
>>
>> As most people know, they may get quite hot, which would indicate to
>> me that in the longer term they would be more prone to failures if
>> running constantly ....
>>

> You may be able to offset this by shifting the disk activity onto the
> external drives and also by using the powersave cpu frequency governor
> to scale down cpu speed, resulting in less energy and less heat.
> If you're trying to do something that requires heavy cpu usage then
> laptops are the wrong way to go anyway.
>
> I do the 24x7 on an old Dell laptop, been working nicely for a long time
> now...
>
> -h

me too. given a dell laptop with a broken screen over 12 months ago and
started using it temporarily for network storage and never replaced it.
two periods of downtime: once to upgrade disk and once after os rejig.
currently up since june.

regards

sean

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk