[Gllug] Portable and network storage.

Frank Scott lists at frasco.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 14:10:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 01:18:56PM +0000, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:

> Laptops sound like a good solution, my only concern is if they are
> really able to work 24x7 for any appreciable length of time.
>
> As most people know, they may get quite hot, which would indicate to
> me that in the longer term they would be more prone to failures if
> running constantly ....

Well I bought a seconhand Tp 770 in November 2000 and I've been using it
as my home gateway 24/7 ever since. I use it as my firewall, mail server
and Asterisk pbx. It's only got a 233MHz Pentium II in it and it now
struggles a bit with Spamassassin. I think I might have to update it
some time next year. I'm looking at one of those intel atom 330 itx
boards.

--
    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk