[Gllug] Linux equivalent of OS X filesystem Directory

gunzip emacs.el at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:58:48 UTC 2008

For a long time now I've toyed with the idea of ditching OS X and using
Linux exclusively instead of purely for server work. The graphics/font
rendering has always held me back but recently I've encountered a bigger
factor which may encourage me to switch once and for all - Directory
corrution/drive failure frequency with OS X. This year I've had 2 failures
on my dual 2Ghz G5 and in both cases the pattern seems to be the same, ie.
the filesystem Directory becomes corrupted and the volume won't boot. My
disks also seem to acquire bad sectors faster under OS X but this could be
my imagination.

My question is whether Linux works similarly with a filesystem directory
which is equally vulnerable to corruption when bad sectors creep into the
disk or is this vulnerability perculiar to OS X?

gunzip

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk