[Gllug] Spamassassin (again)

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Tue Nov 18 21:12:19 UTC 2008

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On the upgrade that didn't seem to be enough. But it seems to run fine
> now:
>
> root at dragoneye:~# free
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:       1553192    1511392      41800          0      12232
> 158888
> -/+ buffers/cache:    1340272     212920
> Swap:      4616176    3100056    1516120

I wouldn't personally regard this as fine at all, unless you genuinely
have so much rarely used memory in use that the kernel can page out
twice the physical RAM in the machine without adverse effect, especially
if this is a mail server and requires disk for other things.

I've run mail servers with 4GB of RAM each, which could just about run
12 SA children but it was marginal, although each server was handling
~130k mails a day without spooling many of them. The default of 5 is
more than most people will ever need.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk