[Gllug] OT: Friday funny

Fri Nov 14 12:05:08 UTC 2008

Would you let your flacks say this about you? I can only wish for
"dedicated" teams so incapable of error!

<<<
There is no discernable reason why our website would not have acccepted
your email address on our competition page, and contrary to your
assumption, all of the pages on our website are meticulously coded and
checked by our dedicated Technical and Editorial Teams.

This from "Abbi" an agony aunt, um, customer service person for Cheap
Flights, when advised that at least part of their web site won't accept
email addresses with .info TLDs (other components do, eg would you like
us to send you email...). NB In my many years of occasionally
experiencing this problem, it has been because someone downloaded an
ancient script and dropped it into their production system with great
pride but inadequate testing!

Yes, she was blithely able to overlook my mention of using multiple
browsers, multiple operating systems, multiple machines, revisiting on
multiple days, and comparing the response to multiple email
addresses/TLDs; to confidently assert "that the problem resides with
your PC or ISP" (did she previously work for BT?). Unfortunately 'Dear
Abbi' followed this up with a reference to the "compatition", so
consistency is not her strong suit either. Good thing (see two more
errors within the quote, above) the techs have also ensured that her
spelling checker is working as well as the email RegEx...

Regards,
=dn

PS I have to ask: are their planes as meticulously...?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk