[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 11:05:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:06 AM, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
>> A question. I keep trying out Ubuntu because I can't believe that my
>> experience is going to be as bad as the last time I tried it.
> [snip]
>
> I have to say that my experience of Ubuntu - although not extensive - is
> much the same.

My experience of Ubuntu (I run my laptop and Helena runs hers on it)
has been generally satisfactory in terms of installation.  However, I
agree with Tet that in many ways it seems quality is going downhill.
Whether it's just that we're trying to do much more than we used to,
or whether quality has slipped in the rush for new and better
features, certainly Helena's daily experience of Linux is no longer
pleasant.  She complains of numerous bugs or crashes (especially with
Open Office).  These days we both feel we couldn't honestly say that
Linux is more stable or less buggy than Windows.

The last time I had an issue-free system was when I had Debian on my
thinkpad.  Note that I am talking about workstation / laptop / daily
use machine - not servers.  For servers I used CentOS almost
exclusively, and have absolutely no problems at all.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk