[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Nov 13 12:52:57 UTC 2008

 >>That's pretty representative of my experiences, too. To be fair to
 >>Ubuntu, Fedora 9 is pretty much the same.

 >>That's very peculiar!  I've installed Ubuntu on an enormous range of
 >>desktop and laptop machines

>> I have to say that my experience of Ubuntu - although not extensive - is
>> much the same.

> My experience of Ubuntu (I run my laptop and Helena runs hers on it)
> has been generally satisfactory in terms of installation.  However, I
> agree with Tet that in many ways it seems quality is going downhill.

Well, thank you to all respondents.

It would seem it is *not* just me, so I will relax and just keep
testing: noting that people have better experience with the desktop version.

> The last time I had an issue-free system was when I had Debian on my
> thinkpad.  Note that I am talking about workstation / laptop / daily
> use machine - not servers.  For servers I used CentOS almost
> exclusively, and have absolutely no problems at all.

I have startlingly few issues with Debian overall (apart from the
release schedule - which is why I am tempted to Ubuntu). Our
infrastrucure is running Etch and is utterly stable. And I would have to
say the same for CentOS.

On the desktop however Etch is rather elderly...

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk