[Gllug] Vacancy: MySQL DBA (Zurich, Switzerland)

james james at camalyn.org
Tue Nov 11 10:04:56 UTC 2008

VACANCY:

Hi List,

Although I know this is the Greater London-based LUG I have had much
success with finding better than good people from this list for jobs so
I really hope that nobody minds this posting as I hope that there may be
interest from someone currently subscribed or working in London who
wishes to relocate.

I am working with a Swiss client that try and use only open source
solutions, whenever possible.  They are looking to recruit a permanent
MySQL DBA to join a team of 6 in Zurich.  Flights are paid for by the
client to attend the interview and relocation assistance is offered too.
Although the official language spoken in Zurich is German, you truly
will manage to survive speaking English as this is widely spoken in
hotels, restaurants, shops and business settings.

The scope of the DBA role is that the DBA has to take care of all the
client's database systems, concerning  deployment, maintenance,
patching, optimisation of performance. Plus, the DBA should be to have
knowledge on common daily production systems administration and
integration procedures, so that they will be able to run the daily
checks as well as fixing the issues that the client might encounter.
Bash shell scripting is  definitely a required knowledge.  The clients
production database handles incoming data in many different ways but as
an example they'd suggest that they do 100 million write operations per
working day (spread around all the production databases).

There are a total of 273 Linux servers, of which are around 55/60 run
MySQL 5.0.x community edition (se MyISAM) on Linux both 32 and 64 bit,
typically Fedora 6/8/9, some RHEL5 and they are trying to introduce
CentOS

There are around 60 databases across multiple services, size changes
depending on the usage (production systems DB are around 200-250 MB each
per day, archive data DB much bigger.

The client's existing challenges/ most pressing issues relate to high
volume transactions and replication.

If anyone is interested in discussing with me further please contact me
off-list. My e-mail address is james at camalyn.org

All the best,
JAMES

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk