[Gllug] newbie install day

Tue Nov 11 14:57:06 UTC 2008

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 10 Nov, Diana Scott wrote:
> Hello
>
> When is the next newbie installation day to attract more new members ?
>

> Diana
>
>    I am not the greatest expert, but would usually be happy to help whenever
> we have sufficient people wanting to come along. I think Sean would be able
> to organise access to the lab most Saturdays, although there may be problems
> near Christmas.

Are install-fests a means of attracting new members these days?
(genuine question from ignoramus)
- perhaps it fits with some of Sean's initiatives at the uni?

Would there be interest in an install/configure/use hands-on and
practical demo event of a wider nature, eg questions about a wider range
of topics:
- adding wireless to your box/distro;
- getting CUPS to work (substitute your choice of: SAMBA, LVM, DNS....);
- compile and make for those who don't program;
- backup is done how?;
- peaceful co-existence in a heterogenous (home) network;
- add your thoughts/interests/biases/ignorances here -

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk