[Gllug] newbie install day

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Nov 12 10:12:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 07:47 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

>    Building your own distro from scratch is fraught with unexpected
> problems, and would require very extensive testing.

You may say that, but in my (albeit limited) experience, constructing a
distro was actually quite easy.  My aim was to produce a distro
dedicated to the design and programming of ASIC devices, and a day's
work produced a cut-down distro that included all the tools I needed for
the project and would install and run on the vast majority of PC
hardware I tested it on.

Obviously, I used a generic distro as my starting point. I chose Puppy
Linux in this instance, as it had a very small hard disk space and
memory requirement, so could be run on older, otherwise disused,
hardware.  Puppy also includes the necessary tools to build "respins"
without the need for much  effort or experience!

Work on the project has stalled recently due to my serious illness, but
I plan to get on with it soon so that I can get it to the point that it
will be useful to a lot of electronics designers.  I will obviously then
make it available to anyone who wants it.  I have recently used my
(unfinished) version to design and program some PICs for a work project,
so it's almost there...

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk