[Gllug] Linux equivalent of OS X filesystem Directory

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Wed Nov 19 12:05:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:52:58AM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:
>
> > Linux offers you a range of filesystems that you could use; some are
> > better for working with large files (e.g. XFS), some offer fast
> > performance with lots of small files (ReiserFS), almost all are more
> > stable than what you typically see with OSX.
>
> Be careful here. There are likely to be people reading this list that
> will see that and think "I want better performance from my
> filesystem", and think about using ResierFS. Don't get me wrong, Hans
> had some nice ideas, but wasn't able to implement them in a reliable
> way[1]. To clarify: ReiserFS is good for losing your data. Nothing
> more. Avoid it at all costs.

I used to use ReiserFS - and I never had any problems with it.
Nowadays, I mostly stick with ext3 if using Linux.

I would, however, still be quite willing to use reiserfs if, for
example, I were running a news server. Then I'd care more about
getting data quickly, and wouldn't be too fussed about losing data, as
I could always get it back.

Dan
--
Maternity pay?	Now every Tom, Dick and Harry will get pregnant.
		-- Malcolm Smith
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk