[Gllug] Spamassassin (again)

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Nov 20 10:59:06 UTC 2008

Anthony Newman wrote:
> I've run mail servers with 4GB of RAM each, which could just about run
> 12 SA children but it was marginal, although each server was handling
> ~130k mails a day without spooling many of them. The default of 5 is
> more than most people will ever need.

Assuming you've only got a single disk, or perhaps a single mirror the
optimum number is probably around the 1 mark I'd guess, perhaps 2 if
you're scanning outbound and inbound mail. That would still comfortably
handle tens of thousands of messages a day.

Oh, and do make sure you've tightened things up at the SMTP receive
stage. According to my stats, yesterday my ibook/ppc/256MB gateway
server rejected 8281 messages at the smtp stage and only forwarded 421
for spam-checking and delivery.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd