[Gllug] LVM and RAID reshuffling advice

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 10:54:41 UTC 2008

Hi,
I have a server machine with two disks, one (500GB) that currently contains
the OS and the other (250GB) is currently empty.  I was thinking I would
create a 250GB partition on each to use as a software raid 1 device and then
use the remaining space on the bigger disk for the OS.  I was then going to
put LVM on the raid to allow me to divide it up how I like.

The existing 500GB is currently completely allocated as an LVM
PhysicalVolume on top of which I've created several LogicalVolumes for the
OS.  I'd rather not reinstall the OS and I can't see a way to shuffle
everything around to give me the layout I want.  In particular it seems I
can't use a LogicalVolume underneath software raid and I can't see how to
resize the PhysicalVolume.

I've read the various HOWTOs from LDP about Raid and LVM and google around a
bit but can't work out what the best approach would be, any suggestions?

JD