[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:45:01 UTC 2008

2008/11/13 James Roberts <jr at stabilys.com>:

> So I grabbed latest Ubuntu 8.10 server, tested CD, tested memory and
> attempted install on two small new server-class machines:

FWIW:

I think your perception of where Ubuntu is rightly lauded is misplaced.

By your own description you are dealing with server class systems,
these by definition are more complex (quad CPUS, cutting edge network
cards, disk controllers, different services loaded or unloaded, etc)
and thus you may expect more problems in general.

Ubuntu works great as far as I have experienced it in desktops, with
hardware that is one or two years old, and thus better understood, I
even installed for my elderly mother in a 2 year old computer (which
originally had SuSe) and she is very happy with it.

It has been my exclusive OS at home since v. 6.04 or thereabouts, I
have used the online upgrade the last couple of times in both my
laptop and desktop (and my mom's desktop) without any issues. I had an
issue with my wife's computer, but I reported it and the problem was
tracked down and solved after a couple of weeks.

My machine has a 3ware old raid card that has been recognized with
every upgrade.

I find strange that so many people in this list find Ubuntu
frustrating,  it seems like the world at large, mostly desktop users
without esoteric needs, are more than happy with this particular
distro.

Having said all the above, I would not consider it for a server. It is
untested there and having solid products like Red Hat, Suse or Debian
it makes sense to go for those distros where your bread and butter is
on the line.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk