[Gllug] Redundant hosting recommendation

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Thu Nov 6 14:32:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:57:17 -0000, Simon Perry <gllug at si-designs.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to come up with a hosting solution for a new site that offers
> 100% uptime but not having done this before I don't know what solutions
> are available? What I have come up with so far is;
>
> 1) Two dedicated servers in separate data centres with a 3rd party round
> robin DNS service
>
> 2) A managed redundant hosting solution. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
>
> 3) Suggestions please
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

If you are happy with about 10 minutes of down time zonedit.com is a cheap
solution.  It will do your DNS for you (and you can have multiple DNS
servers) and it gives out server A's IP until it fails and then it gives
server B's IP.  Or it will do round robin if you want.

I was talking to a chap from www.wagerworks.com recently and they said a
budget of 4k would be needed to give almost no down time.  Can't remember
the solution he proposed.

The other problem is making sure how you test its down.  It can't just be
ping as it could have a failed service.  The zonedit uses http to check a
certain value is in the web page returned.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk