[Gllug] Redundant hosting recommendation

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Nov 6 14:24:50 UTC 2008

Hi Simon,

Simon Perry wrote:
> I need to come up with a hosting solution for a new site that offers
> 100% uptime but not having done this before I don't know what solutions
> are available? What I have come up with so far is;

You don't really want 100% I'd guess, how much downtime is acceptable ?

The engineering required to add a 9 gets exponentially more expensive at
each decimal place. At some point it just isn't worth it.

> 1) Two dedicated servers in separate data centres with a 3rd party round
> robin DNS service

Round robin won't really help you, you need to return multiple A records
simultaneously. There's a good paper on multisite issues at:

http://www.tenereillo.com/GSLBPageOfShame.htm

> 2) A managed redundant hosting solution. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

We can do that. We use a combination of virtualisation and cross-site
real time data replication. Email me offlist if you'd like more details.

Rgds,

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk