[Gllug] ADSL providers

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Nov 3 20:59:43 UTC 2008

David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> I read about OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/solutions) and
> after running a few informal tests which showed that their servers were
> more responsive than my ISP's (the primary I was allocated also seemed
> to be the one that was listed as down 'status' most often, too) I locked
> a couple of their (European) 'open' DNS addresses into my router and
> have never looked back.

you might want to look into the fact that they have ( OpenDNS ) been at
the receiving end of some privacy concerns. Specially since they seem to
hijack traffic via their own networks for some large providers.

eg:
[root at p20038 boot]# host www.google.com
www.google.com is an alias for google.navigation.opendns.com.
google.navigation.opendns.com has address 208.69.34.231
google.navigation.opendns.com has address 208.69.34.230
[root at p20038 boot]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain pubip.foo.net
nameserver 208.67.222.222

I dont think google would be amused.

- KB