[Gllug] Using external USB drive/stick for OS

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Mon Nov 3 18:01:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 04:03:22PM +0000, Luke Dudney wrote:
> On 1/11/08 10:54, lesleyb at herlug.org.uk wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm missing my boxen terribly.
> >
> > I have relief in my remote Debian VM atm but nothing local.
> > So I am thinking of an external USB stick/drive I can connect up to my laptop
> > and then install distros of my choice on.  The choice of drive/stick
> > will be governed by cost and capacity.
> >
> > Anyone got any advice on this or experience of what will and won't work?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > L.
> >

> Definitely consider utilising UNetbootin.
>
> It can create bootable USB drives with the OS of your choice and can
> even download all the necessary files for you. Grab a 2GB USB pen drive
> from your junk drawer and away you go.
>
> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Luke

Thanks for this ... I actually have a 1G and a 512MB stick.  The 1GB is actually
an MP3 player but doubles up nicely for transporting data around.

So I think I would be tempted to buy a 4GB stick just to try these
things out and something like a portable LaCie for a 'real' system.

I'm thinking dual boot Deb stable/unstable, possibly a spot of perl
hacking on something and possibly perl 5.10/6.

Like they say, the devil finds work for idle hands.

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk