[Gllug] Spamassassin (again)

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Sat Nov 15 11:48:46 UTC 2008

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>> Are you by chance not doing at-SMTP-time checking?   If you're not then,
>> well, eww.
>>

> How do you mean? One set come in via fetchmail from Demon, another come
> via an Exim box (it's an old machine but rather than just chuck it I run
> it as the dedicated receiver for this email address - all the outbound
> stuff has to go via tiscali's SMTP server as so many ISP's routinely
> blacklist email sent from a dynamic IP which is what I have)

This is just confusing; you surely know if you're configuring mail
servers that SMTP is used for transferring any mail, not just for
sending it?

What Martin means is; if you are not doing scanning and spam refusal at
the MX for the domain for which you receive mail, you're Doing It Wrong
(TM).

That aside, I can only assume that the double scanning is a
configuration error, and that Exim is much nicer and has inbuilt
spam-scanning hooks, whereas sendmail should be taken out the back and
dispatched post haste. May the MTA war ensue ;)

Ant

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk