[Gllug] Spamassassin (again)

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Sat Nov 15 11:47:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:13:32AM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 22:49 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > > Another oddity is that it seems to scan all mail twice - once as the
> > > user spamass-milter and once as the recepient - eg in my case as
> > > spamass-milter and then as adrianm (my mail account on the server)
> > >

> > Are you by chance not doing at-SMTP-time checking?   If you're not then,
> > well, eww.
> >

> How do you mean? One set come in via fetchmail from Demon, another come
> via an Exim box (it's an old machine but rather than just chuck it I run
> it as the dedicated receiver for this email address - all the outbound
> stuff has to go via tiscali's SMTP server as so many ISP's routinely
> blacklist email sent from a dynamic IP which is what I have)

I only check my mail as it gets delivered i.e. at SMTP-time.

As far as I understand it the benefit of this is the spam gets dropped
so the spam engine thinks the mail drop doesn't exist anymore and eventually
drops the email from its list.  The evil spammer folk may have worked
ways round this.

However I only have one mail server picking up mail for multiple
domains and I am using the exim-SA route.  Would it not be possible to
set exim to fetch your demon mail as well as receive domain specific
mail?

The issue with fetched stuff is I guess that your demon mail service may
have already accepted spam to your account so I guess you can't do anything
with this mail except pull it down.

What would be nice is to filter it at fetchmail stage so you have a
global spam dump somewhere.  However you would then need to manage that
especially false positives.

Not familiar with fetchmail so can't advise on SA and fetchmail.

Is the problem that you have one rule for exim and one for fetchmail
with the exim mail being rescanned upon delivery to local mailboxes
courtesy of the fetchmail rules?

Regards
L.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk