[Gllug] Future meetings - philosophy

Tue Nov 11 17:02:39 UTC 2008

Should we bother organising GLLUG (physical) meetings - isn't the
mailing list and IRC channel enough?

During LinuxLive, I wondered around various stands and talks 'taking
names' of people who might be prepared to speak at future GLLUG events.
If everyone holds the line and GLLUG sticks to a bi-monthly frequency,
this list would just about take care of 2009. (yes, I'll be happy to
summarise these ideas - soon)

It appears 'a number' of (?old time) GLLUGers believe the interest in
holding meetings has declined, that the organisation has 'moved on' and
no longer needs a physical meeting point - and indeed there has not been
anything like a regular schedule during 2008.

However the majority of the folk coming to the GLLUG stand in the
LinuxExpo's .ORG Village wanted to know 'when's the next...', 'what
happens at...' - to a man*!

Here's me poking a stick in the ant-hill: is the "Greater" part of
GLLUG's name a word for "too spread out to meet centrally", or have we
reached a point in GLLUG's evolution where the 'youngsters' want to DO
something whereas the mouldy-oldies are slipping into ever increasing
levels of abstraction or virtualisation - where do you stand on this?

Regards,
=dn

(* not sexist language, if there were any, perhaps those of the female
persuasion decided others manning the stand were better-looking, or
something...)

NB this msg first appeared on GLLUGadmin two weeks ago
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk