[Gllug] Future meetings - philosophy

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 17:12:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:02:39PM +0000, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> Should we bother organising GLLUG (physical) meetings - isn't the
> mailing list and IRC channel enough?

No, I think that there is value is physical meetings because:

* it is nice to meet the real people behind the email identities

* there are more ways of interacting with people than through a keyboard[**]

* different sorts of discussion happen face to face

* it provides opportunities for things like lectures, presentations and other
  forms of education/...

Not everyone will be able to turn up at a meeting, due to other commitments or
perhaps living too far away. But some will.

BTW: how many people on the GLLUG list ? If 5% turn up do we have a crowd ?

[**] Those who disagree with this comment do not need to turn up at physical
meetings.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/