[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Nov 13 16:47:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 04:16:19PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
[...]
> Yes, but critically, your repositories use codenames, rather than numbers.
> So while I happen to know that I'm running dapper on one of my servers (by
> looking at sources.list -- Ubuntu seems to lack an equivalent of
> /etc/redhat-release),

At least on Debian, it's cunningly called /etc/debian_version. If you're
running stable, it contains the release version number:

abuse at mooli:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
4.0

And if you're running testing or unstable, the codename (as it doesn't have
a version number yet):

abuse at jalfrezi:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
lenny/sid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk