[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 10:39:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:05:55PM +0000, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
[...]
> Ubuntu has still to build a reputation in the server arena, I personally
> have not seen a big installation relying on Ubuntu. Plenty of Red Hat,
> SuSe, Debian and even CentOS.

Ubuntu probably won't gain much traction in the server arena because Debian
already exists and Ubuntu doesn't really bring anything new to the party.

> I imagine the point of the server version is to eventually be competitive
> on this arena, at the moment it seems that the server version may not be
> ready for prime time. It took Red Hat ages to get there,

I'm not all that convinced Red Hat has got there yet. All of the Red Hat
boxes I've been asked to do stuff with have turned out to be a complete
mess. And let's not talk about their cocking things up with stuff like gcc
2.96 and that specially-pessimised Perl 5.8.8.

> so it is unsurprising if Ubunut is experiencing initial problems after a
> very successful desktop assault.

It should understand its strengths and concentrate on the desktop.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk