[Gllug] Running a package from unstable in Debian lenny

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 15:12:05 UTC 2008

Hello,
   I have a box running Debian Lenny, the current Debian testing, which I
want to follow Lenny as it becomes the stable version, but I want to use it
as a dedicated box running zoneminder which is currently held in unstable.
All dependencies are met by packages available in Lenny. I updated all the
Lenny packages using aptitude, then tried to

apt-get install -t unstable zoneminder

but that failed because /etc/apt/sources.list did not include a source of
unstable. I edited /etc/apt/apt.conf to make

Default-Release "lenny"

and then added a source of Debian unstable to /etc/apt/sources.list before
again running aptitude. This time an aptitude u (update) showed zoneminder
as available, but it also showed that 277 installed packages have updates
available. I would normally just run aptitude U to update all packages with
updates available, but now I do not want to install unstable packages when
there is a Lenny (testing) package available. I thought that this would be
set by

Default-Release "lenny"

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk