[Gllug] newbie install day

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 19:30:18 UTC 2008

 On Tue 11 Nov, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:

> Are install-fests a means of attracting new members these days?
> (genuine question from ignoramus)
> - perhaps it fits with some of Sean's initiatives at the uni?

   I think it is likely to encourage new members to stay and become active,
rather than attract new members, although it may encourage people to spread
the word further. I think that we have brushed a few cobwebs in the past few
days, with luck it will bring results.

> Would there be interest in an install/configure/use hands-on and
> practical demo event of a wider nature, eg questions about a wider range
> of topics:
> - adding wireless to your box/distro;
> - getting CUPS to work (substitute your choice of: SAMBA, LVM, DNS....);
> - compile and make for those who don't program;
> - backup is done how?;
> - peaceful co-existence in a heterogenous (home) network;
> - add your thoughts/interests/biases/ignorances here -

   Almost definitely yes, there are likely to be quite a few nervous newbies
worried about breaking their current system even more than it is already.
   If we are pushed for more speakers this weekend there would probably be
an audience for anything similar, even basic things like explaining that
there are normally three active buttons on the mouse.

--
Chris Bell
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk