[Gllug] ethernet -> serial converters

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Oct 23 14:04:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 02:41:40PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> I have been looking at serial -> ethernet converters. Does anyone
> have any experience with these ? Are they reliable ? Do they play
> nicely with cups ?

Not with the ones you mentioned, but I did get a D-Link one for my dad
which was no end of trouble.

This box (D-Link DP 300+ ??) is a tiny embedded Linux machine and so
is limited to whatever printers the embedded Linux itself can drive.
This didn't seem to include whatever printer my dad is using.  Also
his Mac refused to talk to the box, although other Linux clients he
had were fine.

My advice would be to test extensively, and be prepared to return to
manufacturer the ones which don't work with your clients & printers.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat