[Gllug] User switching problem under KDE 3.5

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Sun Oct 19 23:52:18 UTC 2008

John G Walker wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:34:05 +0100 John G Walker
> <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I presume it's a very simple operation to restore the facility, but I
>> can't find out where to do that.
>
> And just as mysteriously, it's returned. If there's one thing that I
> hate more than things that mysteriously stop working, it's things that
> mysteriously stop working and then, just as mysteriously, start working
> again. The first is a consequence of living in a mechanical age (or its
> electronic child), the second shows deliberate malevolence on the part
> of the machines.
>
> Demystification would still be appreciated,

If the issue is non-recurrent, I'd suggest it was likely due to a since
crushed biscuit-crumb.

If the issue does recur, and the keyboard is known to be fine, I believe
the kernel itself handles detecting and switching via virtual terminals
(a character device under device drivers) for c-a-f1 thru c-a-f6; c-a-f7
to c-a-f12 on my machine are handled by /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

HTH,
--
Alistair Mann

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk