[Gllug] ADSL providers

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 08:09:20 UTC 2008

2008/10/29 Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org>:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 04:52 +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have recommendations for reasonable Business Broadband,
>> possibly SDSL, ADSL2 or Fiber (We have been looking at BeThere)
>
> I'm using BeThere here (domestically) and it completely outperforms
> Virgin Media's bogus "fibre" nonsense.  I live in an area that is
> shadowed (behind a big hill) from Crystal Palace, and in the days of
> Cable Camden (later, Cable London) we had almost 100% of households
> connected to the cable.  Since "Virgin on the Ridiculous" took over,
> that's dropped to (roughly) 15%.  I left VM about three months ago - I'd
> had enough.
>
> VM is truly appalling.  Their "20 Mb/s" service is actually 5 Mb/s with
> the occasional burst to 20 Mb/s - their capping means that restrictions
> kick in after just four or five minutes of downloading, and then last
> effectively for the rest of the day.  Their "unlimited" service is
> nothing of the sort!  There are many frequent service interruptions,
> many DNS problems, and they (usually) refuse to acknowledge that any
> fault actually exists.  Their cable TV service is generally bad - and
> again they refuse to admit to network capacity problems.  For example,
> their "on demand" TV services have never worked around here.  VM now
> have a small-print caveat in all their advertising: "subject to network
> capacity"...
>
> BeThere already have an agreement to use the BT "Fibre to the Home" as
> it is installed.  Luckily, I live in one of the test areas, and will
> have FTTH installed early next year...
>
> Chris
>

> --

I'd always been quite impressed with Cable, Got Virgin 10Mb service at
home (Just upgraded from the 2Mb) and it mostly actually does get
that, Its runs circles round the apparent 8Mb service at work. Even
the 2Mb service ran circles round our office 8Mb! However virgin are
not cheap to businesses.

What always irritates me is how business services are hidden and you
nearly always need to talk to a sales person and usually cost a lot
more than the equivalent home offering (which is usually identical)

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk