[Gllug] Disc partitions

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 12:00:48 UTC 2008

On Sun 12 Oct, Dylan wrote:

> Well, it's partly going to depend on the functions you have in mind. A machine
> with no graphical desktop is still only going to need a small installed
> footprint.
>
> As to what can be shifted off to other physical drives, I've never had serious
> issues partitioning off /home /opt /tmp /usr and any service specific data
> (ftp space / web pages etc.) And the only time /var has been problematic on a
> separate file system was when a system suffered a catastrophic failure so not
> sure that counts!
>

> There is also RAID and LVM of course.
>
> Dx

   Thanks. It looks as though I may have an intermittent problem, with one
drive slow to start giving data. I have had intermittent problems re-booting
a box, possibly because I tried to put /var on a separate disc, but I have
also tried placing the various partitions in a different order on other
discs. It has worked, but not every time. This time I have everything on one
disc, and still have intermittent problems.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk