[Gllug] Is Dia the right tool for this job?

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 11:13:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 06:54:03PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> Talking about diagamming tools, does anyone have a recommendation for tools
> for network/server diagrams?

Depends what you're after, but it's worth mentioning Graphviz. If you're
often rebuilding the same kinda diagrams with slightly different inputs it
could be a big win. You can feed in text based "definitions" (dot files)
which it will turn into images. Perfect for documentating your own
networks, especially if you already have the source data in a configuration
management/install system! Check out some of the tools built on top:
http://www.graphviz.org/Resources.php

If you want the images to look really polished, it may not be the best choice
- it's always been good enough for my needs, but YMMV.

I'm sure I came across another very similar application a while ago, but my
google fu is totally failing me. :(

Gliffy http://www.gliffy.com/ may be of use? I came across it when I saw it
demoed as a Confluence plugin, but have never used it in anger so can't
recommend either way - just mentioning it.

HTH

--
Stuart
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk