[Gllug] Polipo - Was: Caching youtube videos

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 12:17:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 09:34:14AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> The recent change to Firefox 3
> where it now refuses to go to sites that have self-signed certificates
> (but not sites which have no encryption at all) is thoroughly stupid.
> Instead it should act like ssh -- show the key when you first visit a
> site, show nothing on subsequent visits unless the key changes.

FUD. It doesn't refuse those sites at all. This has been misreported a lot,
and when I initially heard that my reaction was the same as yours.

It does actually act a lot more like ssh. It (rightly) says it can't verify
the cert, telling you this probably a Bad Thing. Then you can "get out of
there", or accept it in two clicks which will permanently store the cert
locally and not bother you the next time.

Not something I've personally had a need for on the www, but have used it
quite a bit at work when people set up temporary servers for testing without
bothering to sign them with the company's CA.

--
Stuart
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk