[Gllug] is LaTex the way to do this?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Oct 17 12:03:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 01:58:22PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> One product I am often asked to produce at work is a graphic based on a
> series of coentric segments of circles, bisected at various points and
> with names  in the segments. (Apologies for the poor description - think
> of a flan made of three rings and cut into thirds or quarters).
>
> The internal design team have been doing this as a personal favour on an
> ad hoc basis, but I'd like to get away from that by creating something
> that allows me to produce an eps or similar file by pressing a button,
> adding the names through a web or similar interface and off we go.
>
> Naturally I'd like to use free software tools.
>
> So is LaTex the way to do this?

Maybe inkscape?

I just drew three circles and saved it as the native SVG format.  The
result is here:

http://www.annexia.org/tmp/circles.svg.txt

It looks fairly comprehensible to me, either to do further editing in
inkscape, or to edit it by hand.

The advantage of SVG over, say, the .fig format is that it should be
more widely understood by tools and applications on that "other
platform".

Rich.

--
Richard Jones